Sunday 24 April 2016

Early morning at Al Beed farm

Last Friday was my last desert trip this spring. I have engagements the next two weekends. Furthermore it is now getting very hot to bird all day. 

With a pre-dawn start I reached Al Beed farm and birded until 9 am. It was still relatively cool then.

Unfortunately the passage was not varied even though I searched hard.

European roller

There was a European roller and a dozen or so blue-cheeked bee-eater did pass through.

Eastern olivaceous warbler 1

Although the warbler fall wasn't very varied there was a big windfall of Eastern olivaceous warbler. I counted 13 in one small area.

Eastern olivaceous warbler 2

There were also three Upcher's warbler and four willow warbler mostly in the orchard.

rufous bush robin

Once again rufous bush robin were everywhere. There were nine seen. This must be one of the commonest migrants in the country. 

European turtle dove

Al Beed is excellent for doves though I yet to see an African collared dove there. This is despite the fact that it is found only 60 kilometres away in Mudhai.

European turtle dove is easily seen except in winter.

Namaqua dove

Namaqua dove is not common but can be seen with effort at the farm too.

rosy starling

Some of the wintering rosy starling were still there. Surely it's time for them to move on.

black-crowned sparrow lark

Very young black crowned sparrow lark were littering the fields. For that species, spring is already nearly over.

After Al Beed, my next stop was Dowkah farm. I will blog about that next.

No comments:

Post a Comment